Baby Talk...

Friday, August 31, 2007

Last week Hubby and I were talking about planning for a baby. Honestly I didn't realised how much thought we have to put in before deciding to have one.

Firstly, the issue of work: Do I stop working to be a full time mommy? work part time? still continue working full time? Of course if you ask me, I definitely prefer to be a full time mom! At least for 2 and a half years till Baby Tan turns into Toddler Tan and can attend childcare. But if I were to stop work after Baby Tan is born, that would significantly affect our income. If I were to work part-time, would that be economical considering I'll need to find a PT nanny too? If I were to continue working full time, do we get a domestic helper? But what do I do with the domestic helper? Leave Baby Tan with her? Bring to my parents or hubby's parent's place? But we don't have a car!! So must buy car first??!! ARRGH....so many things to think about!

Next, transport: Do we need to get a car then? Is it wise to get a car while we're still servicing other loans? When do we get a car? When I get pregnant? After I give birth? Do we really really really need a car in the first place? If we do get a domestic helper, no car how to bring to parent's place?

Another issue, number of children and age gap: Presuming I stop work to take care of Baby Tan 1 till he/she's old enough for pre-school...then what if Baby Tan 2 comes along? I repeat the cycle and wait till No. 2 goes to play school? Then if Baby Tan 3 also come along, then how? I can just jolly well stop working till Baby Tan 3 goes primary school...by then I would have been out of the work force for 10 years!! Would I still wanna go back to work then?

Suddenly I realised why young couples are deciding not to have children...before you even "make" one, already so stressed out...maybe I should just not think so much and let nature take it's course...can't imagine being a mom...I think my grandma didn't need to think so much or have so much stress before having her first child...times have changed...being a full time housewife or mom is no longer the best option.

Still no answer now...if I get pregnant this instance, I guess I really wouldn't know what to do or what my next step is. Hubby wants me to work but he also knows the benefits of me not working...i think he's also undecided! haha...

Wait till the time comes then see how lor...

2 comments:

Steve said...

God gives, God provides!
We can plan of cos, but it will be ultimately God who directs our paths... :)

And slight correction hor :p Not that hubby wants wifey to work... But looking at currect situation now, judging by the flesh, not possible for you not to work... so its a "need", not a "want" :)

Anyway, our God is a God of impossible. You never know what you gonna get. His Grace is sufficient. Amen!

Cookie-Ling said...

haha..okok..me understand..yup I'll need to work..for now, who knows what happens when we really have a baby ya?